Sunday 6 February 2011

Typography Designers

Alex Trochut




This is an example of a typography design for Channel 4 by Alex Trochut. I love how makes the text look 3D, I think it is a very modern approach with the interlocking text, and the fact that he created his own typeface makes this piece even better. The way he has created the film roll makes it all seem very realistic, and is a very inspirational piece showing you what can be achieved with typography today.


Alan Kitching


This is a typography design by Alan Kitching. I really love the faded effect of the colours, that is what first caught my eye. It has a watercolour style effect on it, but almost looks like material, like faded jeans. The colours really stand out and the blue and orange go well together. The whole piece looks very messy which is a style i like to use a lot in my own work, so this design really appeals to me.


Mike Perry


Mike Perry uses a lot of hand drawn elements in his designs, as shown above in the alphabet he create. I think hand rendered typography has a unique look to it and it doesn't have to have perfect shape or use perfect illustrations for it to look good. It shows that not all typography has to be computer generated for it to look modern in graphic design.


Neville Brody


Looking through Neville Brody's work, this piece really caught my eye. I love how he has made up the face from different fonts and i think the gradient works really well, considering i usually don't like gradients. It is a very detailed piece and i think my favourite so far out of the typographers i have researched. It also helps that i like radiohead...

David Carson


In this design, i really like how the typography has been created. All the colours work really well together, especially on the yellow background, and i like the style of lettering that has been used. They almost look like fluid, which i think helps create the effect of the text spilling out of the box at the bottom of the poster.


Herb Lubalin

This design caught my eye firstly because i thought the whole idea of it was quite funny. It is a very clever design as the typography has been shaped so it looks messy and curly, just like a beard, so i think it works really well. Herb lubalin hasn't made it too obvious and complicated though, which i think helps the design.


Stephan Sagmeister



This is a very striking piece by Stefan Sagmeister, once i read that he actually carved the words into his own body, i had to put it in my list of typographers. It is certainly a unique way of using typography, and could be classed as hand rendered. Disturbing but interesting.


Si Scott


I have been a fan of Si Scott for a while, especially his typography work. While the lettering is fairly simple, the detail he puts in to the designs that flow through the letter is amazing, especially since he creates them by hand. Although i like a few of his designs, this one caught my eye because of how many elements are included.


Julene Harrison


I recently found Julene Harrisons work while doing my last project. I think the way she uses typography in all of her work looks amazing, especially since its hand cut. Each letter has something different added into it, making her typography really unique and quite elegant. 


Usugrow


Usugrow is a japanese calligraphy artist. I have been a huge fan of his work for a long time, and his style of typography has always caught my eye. It clearly has a japanese influence, especially in this piece shown above as the letters look a bit like japanese symbols. It is a really unique style, and shows a modern way of using calligraphy in an urban graffiti style.



No comments:

Post a Comment